Library Clerk Job Description
The Monon Town and Township Public Library in Monon, Indiana, seeks a library clerk to assist the library on early weekday afternoons or evenings, as well as Saturdays 10AM-3PM. Ideally, a candidate would be available most Saturdays. In a typical week, the library clerk would work 10-12 hours, with additional hours possible to cover for vacations or illness. The starting pay rate will be $8.75/hour.
- Shelves or files returned library materials to correct location.
- Checks assigned shelves for neatness and orderliness.
- Shifts shelves/collections as needed.
- Checks for overdue materials, holds, missing items, etc.
- Provides customer service for library patrons, including but not limited to checking books in/out, making copies, sending faxes, helping on a computer, and answering the phone.
- Assists with projects and programming as needed.
- Cleans library materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent is required, with some prior customer service experience being helpful. Computer skills are a plus. Some basic Spanish language knowledge is helpful, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations are possible to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Customer Service – Provide prompt, attentive, and friendly customer service in-person and by phone; represents the organization well; maintains personal accountability and ownership for providing excellent customer service; seeks and responds to feedback from customers to improve service; follows up and meets commitments; shows willingness to go out of his or her way to help customers.
Teamwork – Cooperates and works together with all co-workers; plan and complete job duties with minimal supervisory direction, including appropriate judgment; collaborates with and supports coworkers by helping out where needed; creates and maintains positive relationships with coworkers; asks for and listens to coworker feedback and incorporates feedback into revised processes; completes work on time and with proper quality; supports cross-training and shares learning with others; understands we are all stewards of the taxpayers.
Image – Portrays a positive image of library; is a strong public ambassador and promotes library programs and services during customer interactions.
Technical – Proficiency in using computers and related software; comfortable with learning library management system software and other technologies as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee needs to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations are possible to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee frequently is required to:
- Stand, walk, sit
- Use hands and fingers to handle books, paper, technology
- Speak and listen to others
- See and read
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
If interested, send a resume to Library Director, Austin Stroud, at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at the library during open hours. The position will be open until filled.
The Monon Town and Township Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.